On October of 2003, we were catching our flight to LA from Boise for our 3 month mapping. After several delays, they had to cancel our flight for which we were very disappointed since the LAX airport was closed. We told the airline agent that we must get to LA for our medical appointment. If you remember, there was a wildfire in Southern CA at the time. Since the airport was remolding, there was no TDD (we did not have a cell phone at the time) in the area where we were and were told that they were sending someone to us that signs. After spending a few hours at the local airport, we told the policeman we wanted to get a flight to another destination and drive from there to LA. The policeman was very concerned about our safety and assured us that the roads will be closed. During our conversation with the policeman, we asked if he had someone in his family or a friend that was Deaf. He said that his wife's parents were Deaf and had moved here from Montana only a few years ago.
I have known this wonderful Deaf couple for approx. 3 years. This past summer I learned they were from Montana. It never dawned on me till last Fall to ask Doris if her daughter's husband was a policeman. She said "Yes" and I told her that we may have met him at the airport a few years back. She smiled and said she remembered her son-in-law had mentioned he had met a Deaf brother/sister at the airport.
Just a few months ago, I was talking to Doris on the videophone and it happened that her daughter was there. That is when we actually met and we were both excited.
Today, I was invited to the Deaf couple's granddaughter's Birthday party so I could meet their children who are both hearing. The son used to be an interpreter and in the past was involved in the Deaf performances. There were other relatives present and they were enthusiastically ask all about CI and talked about Deaf issues. All in all, it was good to see the policeman again, and, of course, he was happy to me see again and I had the opportunity to come his daughter's Birthday party.
~Debbie
Saturday, February 16, 2008
What a Small World...
Posted by
Debbie/Steve
at
7:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I love stories like this. Isn't that odd, I mean what are the chances?
Hi Val:
Glad you like the stories I've been hearing but there will be more down the roads. You'll never know what might crosses your path.
We will have more to share.
~D
Post a Comment